Four out of five people with depression will get
better without any professional help. However, one in five people with
depression will still be depressed two years later. Depression self help
techniques can make the difference between remaining depressed and
getting through the cloud cover of depression.
These depression self help techniques are not meant as a replacement to
professional treatment, but as a supplement to depression treatment.
Many people find that nutritional and herbal remedies for depression,
like Deprex, work as a depression cure. Therapy and drug medication are
also used as depression treatment.
Depression Self Help:
- Reduce or eliminate the use of alcohol and drugs. Alcohol actually
makes depression worse. Alcohol and drugs may make you feel better for
a few hours, but actually make depression worse in the long run.
- Exercise daily. Exercise releases endorphins that make us feel
good and is known to boost people’s moods and is good for depression.
- Follow a diet low in refined sugars and carbohydrates and
high in fresh vegetables and protein. Sugars, starches and caffeine
may make you feel good initially but will only make you feel worse
when the rebound crash sets in.
- Supplement the diet with fish oil, flaxseed oil or other food
sources high in essential fatty acids.
- Get an adequate amount of sleep and get to sleep at a normal hour,
ideally sleeping shortly after sunset and waking up at sunrise.
- Get at least 15 minutes of sunshine daily.
- Refine depression coping techniques like breathing techniques,
spiritual pursuits, laughing, praying, forgiving.
- Look to a higher source. Research has shown that people who pray
and have a relationship with God handle stress better.
- Join a depression support group. There are also numerous online
communities and forums available if you cannot find a depression
support group in your area or if you cannot express your true feelings
- Seek emotional support from friends and family, even if you want
to hide away in your "cave." If you’ve have a major upset, tell
someone close to you, and tell them how you feel.
- Focus on positive aspects of your life, even if you have to dig
deep to find positives in your life. Studies have shown that negative
thinkers are more depressed, stay in a state of depression longer and
are more likely to become depressed again.
- Eliminate or reduce unnecessary tasks from your schedule.
- Avoid making long-term commitments or important decisions if
- Do not assume responsibility for actions outside of your control.
- Volunteer for a good cause or do something for somebody else.
Helping others gives purpose to life and is an
incredibly powerful depression self help technique.
- Get out of bed in the morning and do something - anything - other
than laying in bed. Get outside for a walk. Meet with a friend for
lunch. Breaking up the normal routine works wonders for depression.
Studies consistently show that activity decreases and wards off
- Practice forgiveness - of yourself and others. We are all human
and we all make mistakes. Don't carry yours or anyone else’s mistakes.
- Take responsibility for your recovery. No one but you has the
power to lift the depression. It’s up to you to do the depression self
help work, see a doctor if necessary, make lifestyle changes to ease
depression, exercise, get out of bed in the morning.
Return to Depression